Tuesday, May 11, 2004

The Last Poets in my own neighbourhood

I have seen the history of rap music, and they're called the Last Poets. This legendary group of experimental black poets are considered to be the forefathers of rap music. Many have sampled their raps, including Biggie Smalls and NWA. And now they performed in our local library, in front of a mostly black audience. I live in a black neighbourhood, that's why.
The concert was the most inspiring I've seen for a long time. Strong, enigmatic and every song influential in retrospect. So this is where Public Enemy and the Wu-Tang Clan got their ideas from. But the Last Poets are so much more positive, and show so much more depth and artistry in their work.
They still tour the Netherlands for the week to come. Tomorrow they'll do Doornroosje in Nijmegen, Thursday they'll play Paard van Troje in The Hague, Friday in Nighttown Rotterdam and Saturday I'll be in Paradiso, Amsterdam to see them play again. Don't say that I didn't warn you...

These are the Last Poets

No comments: